Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Horse Crazy - NaPoWriMo #9

4-9-24 

When I was 11 I learned to fly.

That’s when I started

horseback riding

 

I was chubby

and not at all athletic

but I got on a horse

 

and I could FLY

 

There was nothing better.

 

I wasn’t a natural

I took lessons

I struggled to balance,

to post,

to keep my hands soft,

to keep heels down, eyes up

 

But somehow the struggles

on top of a horse

were challenges I wanted

 

Unlike the struggles

in gym class

to throw and hit a ball,

to climb a rope,

to run a mile,

that humiliated me

 

Because riding

I was never alone.

It was never them against me,

the horse with me.

 

It was us,

and we could fly.                                        

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sijo - NaPoWriMo #28

NaPoWriMo prompt for today: Write a sijo which is a traditional Korean verse form with three lines of 14-16 syllables.   The first line ...